National Seminar Series
The National Seminar Series is a selection of high-quality seminars delivered across Australia. Seminars cover topics addressing each of the competency standards: Design, Documentation, Project Delivery and Practice Management. If you would like to suggest a topic or if you have any feedback please contact the CPD Team.
Water leaks remain the most frequently occurring and most expensive defect in modern buildings. With the surge in apartment dwelling construction, the frequency of leaks is increasing. Furthermore new regulations mean that designers are more likely to be in the firing line for legal action taken against builders and developers for building defects.
Ross has analysed the defects in thousands of home units to find the common features in design and procurement that lead to leaks occurring. Using a real case study of a large apartment complex, Ross will show how the leaks originate well before the waterproofer turns up with a bucket of goo and a 20 year warranty.
The second half of the seminar will be devoted to workshopping the analysis of an actual high rise apartment design. Ross will provide insights into the key issues to look for in defect prevention and the documentation necessary to manage your practices' risk.
Ross Taylor is a specialist waterproofing and building defects consultant with over 38 years’ experience locally and internationally. He provides strategic and technical advice to building owners and lawyers involved in major defect disputes as well as forensic analysis of waterproofing defects in existing large scale structures.
Ross conducts design review workshops of major new residential, commercial and health services structures and provides strategic guidance and training in waterproofing and façade defect prevention and rectification for Architects, Builders and Engineers.
Ross has been involved in many projects including:
- Design review and defect prevention strategies for Housing NSW affordable housing program of 10,000 dwellings.
- Design review and monitoring of quality of new hospital structures for Health Infrastructure NSW.
- Interior coatings quality review and defect workshops for Queen Victoria Building Refurbishment, Sydney
- Analysis of major defects to concrete Wheat Silos, Western Australia
- Analysis and repair of Australian Embassies in Paris, Beijing, Jakarta and Mexico
- Design review and defect risk assessment for apartment complex of 9 x 30 story buildings, New Delhi India.
At the end of the session attendees will be able to:
- Demonstrate how to prevent leaks at the design stage
- Manage risk with regards to waterproofing
- Create the required documentation for defect prevention
- Recognise the real causes of leaks
Member - $76
Non Member - $110
A+ Member - $68
Graduate - $35
SONA Member - $25
Member Livestream - $45
Non Member Livestream - $65
Please note Google Chrome or Firefox are the preferred browsers for purchasing tickets.
Can't make it to the venue? Tune in from home instead
*PLEASE NOTE: the on-demand video of the presentation is only available for the registrants of the event/livestream.
Missed a National Seminar Series event?
No need to worry because Continuum provides a convenient way to update your knowledge.
With over seventy courses to choose from, Continuum lets you carry out CPD at a time and place that suits you. Each course is developed by industry experts and can earn up to two formal CPD points.
Terms & conditions for CPD events
- The Australian Institute of Architects has the right to cancel or alter the dates, speakers or venue of an event.
- In the event of cancellation, on demand video of the presentation or a refund will be offered to the registrant.
- Applications for refunds require two (2) working days notice prior to the event.
- People attending in replace of the registered person must pay the ticket fee associated with their membership type.
- Please note that start and end times are an estimation. Some seminars may finish earlier or later than the proposed time.